Sunday, June 18, 2017

jiggety jig ~ back home almost 4000 miles later

My final day on the road was yesterday and I arrived in Reno from Fernley around 10:30am. Nick Chamberlain saw one of my posts on social media and alerted me to the fact that he was in Reno too (on his Ural Sidecar motorcycle) so he surprised me in the Nevada Museum of Art where we met, walking up from behind and saying "nice boots". There are some interesting pieces of art in that museum although I whizzed through rather quickly. Ed Ruscha had a few fun pieces that made me smile, I also enjoyed "Moth Prayer" by Elizabeth Gomez in 2000. There were some really intriguing works of art I wanted to sit with but I was also aware I needed to beat the heat that was increasing outside.

Nick and I rode out of Reno and exited on the Mt Rose Highway (US 431) up to Lake Tahoe, it was a little more interesting than other main highways. I got a few photos of Nick leaning into it as we climbed up in elevation. We went through Truckee and then stopped at a historical marker for the Emigrant Trail. We tried to stay off US 80 as much as possible, going on the US 20 and US 49 instead and then south on a side road from Auburn to Folsom. That's when I was so hot I had to say goodbye. I got on the US 50 headed toward Sacramento by myself and sped back to Alameda at a greater rate of speed than I could have done with the sidecar. The temperature registered 105 degrees as I passed through Sacramento.

I'll do another post following this with highlights and stats from the trip, a total of 3,927 miles.

"Jiggety jig" is from the nursery rhyme over 200 years ago


Nick at the Nevada Museum of Art

Artist Elizabeth Gomez, 2000 "The Moth Prayer"

Ed Ruscha ~ a sentiment that really summarizes much of the desert life I rode through in the days before
leaning into it 

plenty of snow still on the high passes in Lake Tahoe

Emigrant Trail just to the West of Tahoe

Nick with the Aerostitch's "Mr. Happy" mascot


arriving 8:15pm back in the Bay Area last night as sun was going down on a very warm day
yesterday's overall ride route


No comments: