Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Vacation oddities recently seen in the heartland

A colleague from the office left for vacation last week and my only request was "Laura, please send me photos from your iPhone when you find something interesting or noteworthy while on the trip".

Today I received the following photo below with the narrative:

"A disturbing scene from America's heartland (Columbus, Ohio): Mennonite mothers in bonnets scouring the aisles of the local thrift store confronted with the cast-off toys of today's plastic society."

I have two questions when seeing such a thing... 1) why are the Barbies almost always naked and 2) where did all those tiny shoes go? are they in the landfill after being sucked up in the vacuum cleaner? Did the dog eat them? What?

For the record, Barbie was never my thing but sister Rae adored them and even had the Sunshine Family collection. The problem was that Barbies wouldn't properly sit on my Breyer horse toys (Barbie never had bendable and articulating hip joints) and so I had no use for them.


No comments: