Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Is it in the cupboard? Wouldn't you like to know? It was a lovely little fish.

The title of this post is from the incredibly surreal Monty Python's The Meaning of Life...

Yesterday morning started in Newport, Oregon with breakfast at The Coffee House down by the harbor. While sitting there enjoying a cup of coffee waiting for breakfast, a thunderous din of plastic crates hitting concrete started to my left and as I looked over, this is what I saw flying out with gravity like a train of plastic from the back of a semi truck:


Of course I felt sorry for the driver since he had a look on his face that perhaps it had happened before. The waitress confirmed that indeed it had even happened less than a week ago with a bin full of fish since that is what those containers usually hold... some kind of seafood for transport.

Following breakfast, I went over to a nearby pier where the commercial fishing boats unload their catch to watch my friend Keith doing his day job of measuring the albacore tuna as they were unloaded from a boat. That was very interesting...

fishing boat returning to Newport Harbor

Keith taking a moment between boats as he measured fish

loading the tuna from boat to boxes for shipping


loading the tuna into the boxes for shipping in freezer trucks

frozen albacore tuna

the beautiful Oregon coastline 






The Meaning of Life: Find the Fish

I wonder where that fish has gone. 
You did love it so. You looked after it like a son. 
And it went wherever I did go. 
Is it in the cupboard? Wouldn't you like to know? It was a lovely little fish. 
And it went wherever I did go. 
Where can that fish be? It is a most elusive fish! 
And it went wherever I did go. 
Ooooh, fishy, fishy, fishy fish! 
A-fish, a-fish, a-fish, a-fishy, ooooh. 
Ooooh, fishy, fishy, fishy fish! 
That went wherever I did go.

No comments: