Saturday, September 8, 2012

meeting one of my heroes last Thursday

Around 2pm last Thursday while walking through Chinatown on my way back to the office, I met Emperor Joshua Norton. Of course I recognized him immediately and stopped to ask why he traveled through time to be here in 2012. He told me he occupies this time and space in order to give 2.5 hour historical walking tours on Thursdays and Saturdays each week. If you don't know of him (historically speaking), please read the wikipedia about him above as well as perhaps this link and a million others you can find with google. He's one of my favorite eccentric characters from San Francisco History.

"We, Norton I, do hereby decree that the offices of President, Vice President, and Speaker of the House of Representatives are, from and after this date, abolished."Joshua A. Norton




No comments: