Saturday, April 7, 2012

Taking an inner trip with sound in an unusual space

Last night my friend Heba took me to an unusual one-of-a-kind performance of "sound sculpture" in San Francisco. Both of us had no idea what to expect, we just gave it a go. Walking into the theatre in the subdued light had me wondering if we were in a space capsule from the 1970s and then a podium on one wall was suggestive of a visit from Captain Kirk any moment. Audium evoked all kinds of metaphors and film memories for me as I sat through the hour long sound performance. Without giving too much away, I'll say the participant sits with others in a specially crafted sound theater in the pitch dark and "bumps into sound". I couldn't help but wonder if the composer was an old acquaintance of Ken Kesey's in La Honda during the sound experiments there. In summary, a lot of the free associations of my mental imagery with the sound were on par with the less frightening aspects from Willy Wonka's Psychedelic Boat Trip , but that's just me.


No comments: