Friday, August 21, 2009

JUST GO WITH IT and see what happens

This is what I told myself last night when my evening started to take an interesting turn around 8:15pm. I was in the backseat of my friend’s car, a pristine silver C350 Mercedes Benz. Jim (the car's owner) and Raquel* were in the front seats as we pulled into a local waterfront restaurant and bar in my hometown to grab a drink after attending an art opening. As we approached the parking lot, a valet was cordoning off the entrance but when seeing our vehicle and Jim in his white linen jacket with stylish goatee and general good looks, he inquired "are you here for the launch party?" Without hesitation, Jim replied in the affirmative and in we drove. Slipping into the side door, nobody even looked twice when we mixed into the approximately 200 guests mingling about. We enjoyed nearly two hours of food and beverage and people-watching and nobody was the wiser. I kept thinking about Frank Abagnale Jr. and what his life must have been like and trying not to giggle openly. The event was hosted by a big name production studio for a recent movie milestone. We even listened to the "thank you speeches" near the end of the event and clapped of course. This photo below from my iPhone best captures the essence.
*my friend's names changed for their privacy

1 comment:

Annette said...

I can't believe you stayed for the Thank You's and actually clapped!