Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Good Evening from Portland


It's rather late but I wanted to do an update before bed. I'm here at the Milliken residence in Portland, having had a very bucolic two days since my last post. I left Grants Pass on Tuesday morning, motored up past Crater Lake and was amazed at how much snow is at Cascade Pass (elevation 6000 ft). The Park was not open yet due to snow but I was able to drive "around" it to get to my destination of Sunriver for that night. Such beautiful high desert scenery and absolutely no traffic for most of the day to my surprise.

Spent last night at the Yoder home in Sunriver, went into the town of Bend for dinner at a new restaurant and experienced very fine evening weather (short sleeves). This morning I woke up and hiked to Benham Falls on the Deschutes River (picture below) with David (Yoder) and looked at the amazing lava buttes as well in this landscape. Left there for a straight drive to Portland.


The scenery on the final hour riding toward Portland was impressive coming from the east and observing beautiful snow covered Mt. Hood the whole time. Drove through Mt. Hood National Forest area and arrived in Portland around 3pm to 72 degrees and bright sunshine. The Garmin GPS was extremely helpful in navigating through the city. No worries about driving off the path to investigate a neighborhood and the "recalculating" process always kept me headed back into the proper direction.


Tomorrow morning I shall push on toward Mercer Island after breakfast with a friend (Joanna)... I'll finalize that route in the morning.

No comments: