Saturday, February 2, 2008

Rain and some more rain...newts are "doing it"

Today was a good day for a ride in the rain. Ride of two kinds -- horse ride and a motorcycle ride in torrential rain. The news states that our drought fears are over -- no kidding! So one of the interesting side notes from all this rain is the 'wildlife' out at the barn. The newts are everywhere. I love a newt and am happy when I encounter them and this past week has not been disappointing. The amplexus has been happening in droves. Here's what it looks like:









I didn't know much about amplexus until zookeeper friend Nancy filled me in on the concept. After a bit of googling, i am enlightened. Christopher insists they are "hugging" but that seems pretty comical.




1 comment:

Sojourner rides said...

I enjoy riding in the rain, sometimes even torrential ones on warm summer days.